03 Aug 2021 TURKISH WIND ENERGY SUPPLY CHAIN AGGLOMERATED IN IZMIR AND ITS SURROUNDINGS IS READY FOR THE SECOND 10 GW
Turkey’s most important wind energy event, the Turkish Wind Energy Congress (TÜREK), organized by the Turkish Wind Energy Association (TWEA), is being brought to life as an online webinar series this year due to the Covid Outbreak. In the last webinar of the series titled “General Outlook to Turkish Supply Chain”, the strength of the wind energy supply chain in Turkey, which is agglomerated in İzmir and its surroundings, was the main issue.
At the event, attended by representatives of Ateş Wind Power, TPI Composites, Siemens Gamesa, DowAksa and Aselsan, the following topics were highlighted:
– 10 GW of wind energy installed power has been successfully achieved in Turkey and a strong supply chain has been formed in the sector.
– This strong supply chain is sufficient to reach 20 GW installed power target. To reach this target, it would be beneficial to target at least 1.5 GW of annual installed power.
– The integration of the Turkish supply chain into the worldwide rapidly growing sector especially with offshore wind power plants, is very important.
– With an updated incentive mechanism according to the sector’s rapidly changing requirements in Turkey, this integration can be accelerated.
– Logistics needs of the wind energy industry in Turkey, especially the port, are increasing due to the ever-growing equipment sizes. In this context, it is important to realize the İzmir Çandarlı Port and a Wind Energy Specialized Industrial Zone in its back area.
– Turkish industry giant ASELSAN’s entry into wind turbine production with a repowering project in İzmir, creates new opportunities for the supply chain in Turkey.
With these developments, İzmir awaits new investors with its strong wind energy supply chain.
You can watch the webinar video from here.